Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Twin Peaks Hike...October 31, 2015

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and places to pray in, where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul."  John Muir


It had rained 2 3/4 " over the last two weeks here at my home.  That's almost unheard of for this country.  So, unlike my fellow hardy northwest hikers, I am not used to going out hiking in the rain.  I'll do it though as a last resort.  But, this day was not rainy.  However, it had snowed much more than I thought in the mountains.  I decided to take a jaunt up Twin Peaks, just to keep the juices flowing and scratch my hiking itch.  The view across the valley was a winter wonderland.


Things were looking good.  Only a few inches on the lower part of the trail.


Unfortunately, the higher I went the deeper it got.  Since this trail is fairly steep, I was beginning to wonder if this was going to work.  Oh well, if not it would still be better than sitting at home.


It didn't take long to recognize that things were getting too slippery to go on.  I'd been going to get a pair of microspikes for just such occasions but unfortunately had not done so yet.  Though I was hanging onto trees and trying to stay upright, it just wasn't working.  After several falls, I decided it wasn't worth injuring myself and possibly ruining future outings.  So, I turned around shortly after this.


It was much nicer on back down the trail and I completely enjoyed myself!


Just before the switchbacks back down, I couldn't resist a shot of my pickup parked below.  It's white and is dead center in the photo.  I had a great time in God's outdoors! PTL