Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

Twin Peaks Hike 6/10/2016

"If it's blessings you're a countin', try a morning in the mountains" Jim Stoltz 



This is a hike I've usually done every spring.  Last year the snow was too deep at the end of May.  In October, it was snow that again stopped me.  There was no stopping me this time.  Armed with micro-spikes I was determined to make it.  Fortunately, I was late enough in the spring that I didn't need them.  The mosquitoes and biting flies were the worst I've seen anywhere and I forgot my bug spray.  So, it was the fastest hike up and down Twin Peaks that I've ever done.  Keeping in motion was the only deterrent - so rest stops were non-existent on this day.



A bee was enjoying a wild rose.



I'm not big on this selfie craze now days.  But, here's one anyway at the miner memorial part way up the trail.



The views from Twin Peaks are phenomenal.  Ouray is far below.




Whitehouse Mountain from Twin Peaks


It was the first time I've been on Twin Peaks when there was no threat of thunderstorms and virtually no wind.  It was a great day - despite the bugs!