Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

2013 Polaris RZR Ride 1/17/2015

In March 2014 we decided we wanted to switch to a side by side versus the usual ATV.  We've been ATV riding since 1983 and decided to "kick it up a notch".  Unfortunately, I did not do my homework as well as I should have and we ended up with a 2013 Yamaha Rhino.  The Rhino was a great vehicle - other than its size.  I did not realize that the Rhino was not considered an ATV by the Forest Service nor the BLM.  Only vehicles  less than 50" are considered ATV's.  So, unbeknownst to us, we were illegally riding it on ATV trails all last summer.  Fortunately, we didn't get a ticket.  So, when my "ignorance" was cured we decided to sell the Rhino and go for something smaller.  I had my eye on a 2013 Polaris Rzr 570 on Craigslist.  So, in November we put the Rhino up for sale.  That was the easy part.  It finally sold in late December to an outfitter on Glade Park.  So, I contacted the RZR owner to see if he still had it - and he did.  The rest is history.  We picked it up on 1/2/2015 and finally took it out for the initiation ride this past weekend.  I had to get the 2" wheel spacers off that the prior owner had installed.  I also installed a half windshield and 2" lift kit, as these RZR's are notoriously low.  So far, so good!

Here's the Rhino - now happy at a new home.


The RZR only had 160 miles on it.  So far we are really enjoying it.  The ride is much nicer than the Rhino.  Due to its size compared to the Rhino, it's like the difference between driving a sports car and a 2 ton truck.  There are a few Rhino things I miss, like the transmission and engine braking.....oh, and the locker.
Here are a few shots of our ride up on the rim of Roubideau Canyon.